Marcus B. Chandler, a partner in the Indianapolis, Indiana office of Barnes and Thornburg LLP, chairs the Global Services Practice Group and the BT VentureTech Practice Group.
Mr. Chandler counsels high-growth businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors in connection with capital formation, financing transactions and mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Chandler assists clients with national and international acquisitions and sales of businesses, franchising, licensing, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Mr. Chandler also assists businesses seeking capital, whether it be venture capital, angel capital, public and private grants. Mr. Chandler has helped clients plan their innovation growth strategies, having guided companies all the way from seed stage capital raises to initial public offerings.
Mr. Chandler has had extensive experience assisting U.S. companies creating distribution networks in China and establishing operations in China and India. In addition, Mr. Chandler has drafted and negotiated agreements in licensing, R&D, technology transfer, manufacturing, distribution, software, outsourcing, publishing, confidentiality, intellectual property ownership, employment, independent contractor and artist design services. Mr. Chandler is also experienced in industry consolidations, leveraged buyouts, business finance, strategic planning, bank and mezzanine financing, business restructuring and commercial contracts.
Mr. Chandler's clients come from a wide spectrum of industries, including financial institutions, e-commerce businesses, application developers, on-line retailers and other b-2-b e-commerce businesses, biopharma, medical devices, health care, manufacturing, and information technology.
Mr. Chandler frequently speaks to business owners and management teams on topics including developing, managing and protecting innovations and assets, franchising, international licensing, positioning companies for sale or IPOs, and strategies for raising capital for technology-based companies.
Mr. Chandler has been a supporter of the entrepreneurial community throughout his career. He was among the co-founders of Indiana Business 2000, the Indianapolis CFO Roundtable, and Indiana Companies to Watch. He serves on the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of TechPoint, Indiana's largest not-for-profit organization supporting the needs of technology companies. Mr. Chandler also serves on the Board of Directors of the Indiana Small Business Development Corporation.
Mr. Chandler is a member of the Outstanding Lawyers of America and has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® and Indiana Super Lawyers® in the field of corporate law. He is a director and trustee of several Indianapolis arts organizations, including the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the Herron School of Art. He has also served on the board of directors and as chair of the Development Committee of La Plaza, Indiana’s largest Hispanic community services organization.
Mr. Chandler graduated magna cum laude in 1976 from DePauw University and received his J.D. from the University of Chicago in 1979. While at DePauw, Mr. Chandler was a Rector Scholar, and, while in law school, he was a member of the Chicago Law Review.
Mr. Chandler is admitted to practice in the state of Indiana.
- Founder and partner in Volatus Technologies, LLC, an internet business incubator
- Assisted biotechnology company in negotiating and structuring $10,000,000 in economic development funding.
- Assisted US manufacturer in establishing a manufacturing and distribution joint venture in China
- Represented local investors in acquisition of MedTech, a medical services education business
- Representation of the Indiana Venture Center
- Representation of Ace Mortgage Financing in sale of majority control to Roark Capital
- Representation of Community Health Care Network Innovation Center
- Representation of business in multiple licenses of biogeneric microbiologically manufactured protein therapeutics product
- Represented IQuest in recapitalization transaction
- Represented Nationwide Care in recapitalization and sale to Humana
- Represented Steak n’ Shake in re-launch of franchise offering
- Representation of Trends International
- Representation of Sunrise Publications in licensures of Mary Englebrite and Mood3 rights to artwork for greeting cards
- Representation for sale of Day Dream Publishing to Page-A-Day
- Representation of Trends International in roll-up of U.S. poster distribution operations
- Representation of Walker Information in establishing CSM Worldwide Network