Levi W. Heath is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Barnes & Thornburg and a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Heath focuses on complex civil and commercial litigation. His practice includes toxic tort and product liability defense, Proposition 65 defense and counseling, consumer class action defense, wage and hour class action defense and various other litigation matters. Mr. Heath has managed all aspects of litigation, from the pleading stage through trial and appeal.
Mr. Heath was most recently lead trial counsel in a federal jury trial that resulted in a defense verdict for his client and an attorney fee award in its favor of more than $1,500,000. Prior to that, Mr. Heath was trial counsel for an event planning and production company in a two-week jury trial that resulted in a successful settlement for his client.
A few additional examples of Mr. Heath’s recent representations are the following:
- Defending a global ink manufacturer as national counsel in toxic tort/product liability actions located throughout the United States
- Defending manufacturers and retailers in Proposition 65 enforcement actions and related environmental matters
- Defeating claims against an insurance broker for violation of California’s anti-SPAM statute on summary judgment and then successfully defending the trial court’s ruling on appeal
- Defending national consumer products company in action involving allegations of patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud and breach of contract
- Obtaining an injunction against franchisee on behalf of a franchised fast-food restaurant brand
- Defending direct marketing company in consumer class action alleging unlawful recording of phone calls under California Penal Code sections 632 and 632.7
- Defending marketing company in action involving allegations of trademark infringement
- Defending national retailer in insurance coverage disputes
Mr. Heath received his B.S. cum laude from the University of Utah. He received his J.D. from the UCLA School of Law, where he served as an editor of the UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy. Mr. Heath was twice recognized as a Southern California “Rising Star” by Los Angeles Magazine. Prior to joining Barnes & Thornburg, Mr. Heath was counsel in the Los Angeles office of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
Mr. Heath is a member of the California Bar and is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Central, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California. Mr. Heath is also active in his community. He serves on the board of directors of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society, the executive board of the Western Los Angeles County Council, Boy Scouts of America and the board of directors of the Culver Marina Little League.