Barnes & Thornburg has a deep bench of experienced traditional labor lawyers dedicated exclusively to management interests. When handling labor matters, our focus is driven by the client’s goals. We don’t just play defense – we will work with you to help protect your market competitiveness while assisting you in avoiding labor disputes and workforce disruptions.
With more than 80 legal professionals spread across all of the firm’s offices, we advise companies throughout the country on how to remain union free and, if already unionized, in all aspects of labor relations.
We have experience in:
- Arbitrations, union representation elections, collective bargaining and NLRB matters
- Preparing for and dealing with work stoppages
- Taking legal steps to protect employers against unlawful activities by unions, such as secondary boycotts, illegal strikes and other related actions
We have represented clients opposite most major unions and throughout the United States. We regularly represent employers in a number of industries, including:
- Public Sector
Our clients range in size from small, family-owned businesses to Fortune 100 corporations. We also represent foreign-owned businesses; we are members of the international legal group TerraLex and are active with the Japan-America Society.
We are pleased to be recognized by our peers:
- The 2011 U.S. News-Best Lawyers ranked our labor law practice as one of only 11 full-service firms gaining Tier 1 status in the nation.
- The 2011 Chambers USA publication gave our Labor & Employment department its highest ranking.
- The 2010 Chambers USA publication noted “This group has a strong traditional labor practice and significant expertise in employment law.”
- Recent Chambers accolades include: Barnes & Thornburg’s “labor and employment department is a driving force within this general practice firm . . . and its partners operate on a national scale. With a particular strength in classic labor law.”