Clients look to Barnes & Thornburg’s Environmental Law Department to advise them on federal, state, local and international environmental laws; to evaluate and manage environmental issues in real estate and business transactions; to resolve disputes with governmental entities and private parties arising under environmental laws; and, when necessary, to aggressively protect their interests in litigation or alternative dispute resolution. Our Environmental Law Department has the experience, depth, geographical reach and sophistication to handle the most complex environmental law matters in jurisdictions throughout the U.S. and beyond. The annual "Best Law Firms" rankings by U.S. News and Best Lawyers ranked Barnes & Thornburg nationally as Tier 1 in environmental litigation and environmental law, and our offices in Chicago, Grand Rapids and Indianapolis as Tier 1 in environmental litigation and environmental law.
We advise clients on the full breadth of environmental law, from water, soil and air regulatory compliance and enforcement to emerging legal issues associated with climate change, oil and gas pipelines, vapor intrusion, and advanced remediation solutions. A number of our lawyers have academic degrees in civil, chemical and environmental engineering, environmental planning and policy, biochemistry, biology, and natural resources, which enhances our in-depth understanding of the technical issues underpinning the legal matters faced by our clients. Our lawyers also have high-level work experience in private industry and with environmental regulatory agencies, and include the former assistant administrator of the U.S. EPA Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response and the former acting Deputy Regional Counsel for EPA Region 5. Many of our lawyers have been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as leaders in the fields of water law, environmental law and environmental litigation.
Our environmental law clients are as diverse as our experience, and include:
- Major oil companies and refineries
- Industrial manufacturers and suppliers
- Pipeline owners and operators
- Municipalities and wastewater utilities throughout the country
- Energy and mining businesses
- Property owners and real estate developers
- Solid and hazardous waste management facilities
- E-waste and universal waste recyclers
- Industry associations and coalitions
Clients appreciate our deep substantive knowledge and our ability to focus on the practical, financial and business implications of potential solutions for their matters. We are frequently called upon to handle:
- Environmental crisis and emergency situations
- Interactions with state and federal regulatory agencies
- Remediation projects requiring evaluation and oversight
- Superfund matters with complex allocation issues
- Facility permitting and siting
- Environmental due diligence
- White collar criminal defense
- Administrative hearings and appeals
- Litigation and appeals in state and federal courts throughout the country
- Chemical manufacture, processing and import regulatory issues
We encourage you to further explore our Environmental Law Department’s capabilities and experience, which include more specific areas of concentration (by subject matter and industry). For more information, please contact a legal professional in our department.
Whether your environmental law question concerns routine compliance or potentially serious and costly consequences for your organization, Barnes & Thornburg’s environmental attorneys stand ready to serve you with the resources, responsiveness, substantive knowledge and commitment to excellence that have resulted in our Environmental Law Department being recognized as one of the finest environmental law practices in the United States.