We’ve been practicing environmental law since the mid-1970s – long before it became fashionable. Barnes & Thornburg LLP’s Environmental Law Department has grown with the times, and represents business, governmental and utility clients of all sizes throughout the country in a wide range of environmental matters.
Lawyers in the Environmental Law Department have academic degrees in civil, chemical, and environmental engineering, environmental planning and policy, biochemistry, biology and natural resources that allow them to better understand the scientific and technical issues inherent in environmental law. A number of our attorneys also have practical work experience in industry and with environmental regulatory agencies.
We also have gained recognition for our work in environmental litigation nationally. U.S. News and Best Lawyers ranked Barnes & Thornburg as a Tier One firm in the environmental litigation area.
The more than two dozen legal professionals often work closely with other lawyers in the firm who handle toxic tort litigation, environmental issues in business and real estate transactions, and environmental claims against insurance carriers.
We assist clients with:
- Compliance counseling and audits
- Negotiating permits and appealing unfavorable permit terms and conditions
- Identifying and allocating responsibility for environmental issues in business transactions (e.g., property transfers, mergers and acquisitions, asset purchases)
- Assisting businesses expand, modify, and commence operations
- Hiring and working with environmental consultants to achieve client objectives
- Working on the development of statutes, regulations and guidance documents at the state and federal level
- Adjudicating administrative matters before federal and state agencies
- Litigating in state and federal courts at both trial and appellate levels
- Cost recovery and contribution claims and litigation
- Other environmental litigation, including toxic torts
- Environmental insurance claims and litigation
- Criminal and white-collar environmental matters
- OSHA counseling and enforcement actions
We’re proud of our long-standing practice. But be assured - we keep up-to-date on the latest laws and regulations in the field.