Randy Brown, Managing Partner of the firm's Fort Wayne, Indiana office, is a trial attorney who concentrates his practice in commercial litigation, including matters relating to patent, trademark and copyright infringement, trade secrets, unfair competition, UCC claims, shareholder disputes, insurance products, and class actions. Mr. Brown has tried cases throughout the country and is routinely asked to battle with the largest law firms around. He is also a member of the firm’s Appellate Practice Group and Higher Education Practice Group. Mr. Brown's higher ed work includes acting as outside general counsel for a private, liberal arts university.
Mr. Brown has been recognized in the 2007-2016 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in multiple practice areas, including "Bet-the-Company" Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Patent Litigation, and Intellectual Property Litigation. Best Lawyers also recognized Mr. Brown as the 2012 Lawyer of the Year in the area of Bet-the-Company Litigation in Northern Indiana. Mr. Brown has also been identified in Indiana Super Lawyers®, and is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Select Lead Counsel Experiences:
- Defeated motion to certify a 30 state damages class in a class action lawsuit brought against a major life insurance company.
- Defended public utility in multi-million dollar dispute with municipality over termination of 35 year lease of electric distribution/transmission system. Guided client through state court and agency litigation while managing media relations in widely publicized dispute. Achieved settlement of claim once valued at over $100 million at de minimis cost to company.
- Defended Fortune 500 manufacturer of cutting and drilling equipment in trade secrets dispute with competitor. Defeated motion for injunction, leading to early and cost-effective settlement.
- Lead trial counsel representing life insurer in series of patent infringement cases seeking to enforce patents in the insurance industry.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for manufacturer of complex robotics used in the automotive industry. Successfully defended the judgment on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Trial verdict for manufacturer of commercial furniture products in action seeking to enforce contractual right of first refusal related to sale of business.
- Protected intellectual property of manufacturer of extruded aluminum products in multiple actions against competitors and former employees, resulting in agreed injunctions, monetary settlements, and royalty bearing agreements.
- Defended Fortune 500 member of joint venture in dispute with other member surrounding integrated supply services provided to large manufacturers. Achieved favorable settlement after early depositions led to detailed counterclaims.
- Counseled manufacturer of component parts through true "bet the company" litigation over UCC warranties against infringement asserted by customers who paid in excess of a billion dollars to resolve patent infringement claims. Linked modest settlements to future business resulting in significant increase in client's sales and bottom line.
Mr. Brown utilizes cutting-edge technology to present complex issues to juries. He is also a frequent lecturer on the use of technology at trial and on trial techniques.
Mr. Brown received his B.S. from Manchester University in 1987. In 1990, he received his J.D. magna cum laude from the Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis, where he served as an associate editor on the Indiana Law Review. He joined Barnes & Thornburg in 1990 and is admitted to practice in all Indiana state and federal courts, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan.