Christopher L. Lynch is a partner in Barnes & Thornburg LLP’s Minneapolis office and a member of the firm’s Litigation Department and Insurance Recovery and Counseling Group.
Mr. Lynch focuses his practice on representing business policyholders whose claims have been denied or disputed by their insurance companies. Through negotiation and targeted litigation, he has helped businesses recover millions of dollars in insurance proceeds to cover underlying defense costs, damages, and settlements, as well as first-party losses, including damage to business property and loss of income due to business interruption.
With more than 15 years of experience representing policyholders, Mr. Lynch has handled complex insurance recovery matters involving directors and officers liability coverage, excess liability coverage, fidelity and crime coverage, products-liability coverage, commercial general liability coverage, and business property coverage. He has represented clients in a variety of industries, including life sciences, manufacturing, construction, agribusiness, transportation, and chemical distribution.
Mr. Lynch also represents businesses in general commercial litigation matters. He has helped businesses with litigation appeals, real estate disputes, bankruptcy-related litigation, franchise disputes, professional malpractice litigation, and contract disputes.
In addition to his client representations, Mr. Lynch serves as a frequent author and presenter on commercial insurance and litigation topics. His presentations include:
- "Tips to Build a Better Coverage Tower," Hennepin County Bar Association, April 2015
- "Additional Insured Coverage & Indemnification in the Construction Context,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, Insurance Law Institute, March 2015
- “What Your Company’s Executives Don’t Know Can Hurt Them – Understanding and Mitigating the Expanding Risk of Personal Liability for Corporate Executives,” Minnesota Chapter of the Risk & Insurance Management Society, January 2015
- “Insurance Coverage for Life Sciences, ” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Mid-Year Meeting, February 15, 2013
- “Throwing a Lifeline to Life Science Companies – Tips to Understanding the Insurance Your Company May Depend on for Survival,” LifeScience Alley, November 8, 2011
- “Excess and Umbrella Insurance – Is Your Coverage Tower Safe?” Minnesota Chapter of the Risk & Insurance Management Society, September 2011 Meeting
- “Product Recalls – What Losses Are Covered?” Minnesota Chapter of the Risk & Insurance Management Society, Annual Seminar, January 2011
- “Walking the Tightrope of an Insurance Claim, Balancing the Objectives & Understanding the Perspectives of Corporate Counsel, Corporate Risk Managers, and Outside Counsel in Handling Your Company’s Insurance Claim,” ACC Webinar, August 2010
Mr. Lynch earned his J.D., magna cum laude, in 1998 from the University of Minnesota Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, the Minnesota Justice Foundation, and the National Moot Court competition team. He earned his B.A., magna cum laude, in journalism from the University of Minnesota in 1995. Upon completing law school, Mr. Lynch served as a law clerk for Justice Paul Anderson and Justice James Gilbert of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Minnesota Chapter of the Risk and Insurance Management Society
- American Bar Association, Trial Tort and Insurance Practice Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association