Clean water is an important resource in the world today and Barnes & Thornburg LLP’s water group is at the forefront of helping clients nationwide comply with water quality standards, discharge limitations, and related programs. Firm water attorneys include engineers and former regulators who draw on their detailed knowledge of the clean water statutory regulatory system to represent clients in dealing with local, state, and federal regulators.
Our water attorneys assist clients with a broad range of water issues that arise for the regulated community, from policies and rulemaking to permitting and enforcement. Some of our services include:
- Development of federal and state policies and rules, including related litigation
- Compliance counseling
- Permit negotiations, appeals, and enforcement
- Preparation of comments and challenges to state lists of impaired waters
- Participation in Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL) process, including legal challenges
- Anti-degradation planning
- Obtaining variances from water quality standards
- Wetlands rulemaking, permitting, and enforcement
- Storm water rulemaking, permitting, and enforcement
- Assisting clients starting new operations and facility expansions and modifications
The water group works cooperatively with agencies, environmental groups, and other stakeholders to achieve acceptable solutions on water issues. The group also has organized a number of state, regional, and national coalitions that help shape clean water regulations.