Barnes & Thornburg serves as legal and business counsel for national fraternities and sororities. Our team consists of lawyers who not only provide counsel on areas most critical to fraternal organizations – nonprofit governance, real estate, labor and employment, nonprofit tax law, business contracts, and intellectual property – but also understand in depth the unique environment in which fraternity and sorority clients operate.
We assist fraternities and sororities with issues such as:
- Local and national housing corporation issues
- Governance documents such as constitutions, bylaws, and policy manuals
- Member discipline and other membership issues at all levels
- Obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, and responding to related government inquiries
- Drafting, review and administration of contracts with vendors and other business associates
- Host college and university relations and contracts
- Various issues related to the single sex nature of many of our clients in a rapidly changing legal environment related to such issues
- Fundraising including charitable solicitation standards, planned giving and charitable gaming compliance
- Intellectual property issues such as license agreements for the distribution of products
- Web development, licensing and other technology-related agreements
The firm’s national footprint, breadth of resources, and focus on value provides a platform that is ideally suited to cost-effectively address the wide range of issues fraternities and sororities face.